Friday, February 11, 2011

Addison Victoria Tomlinson

Addison Victoria
Born: February 10
3:30am
19 1/2 in
7lbs 5oz
Holding my little girl.
Addison getting her 1st bath.
Since this is the only journal I keep, I will share the story of Addison's birth.
My contractions began at around 6pm Feb 9th (baby's due date). I started timing them at around 6:40pm and they were about 10 minutes apart. My Doctor had given me the instructions of going to the hospital when they were 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long. The reason for that was because I tested GBS+ and they needed to have at least 4 hrs. to give me two doses of antibiotics. Since my contractions were still 10 minutes apart I didn't panic, I was just going to keep timing them until it was time, I was expecting them to last a long time. I continued on with my daily routine, cleaning, giving Maya a shower, feeding her dinner and I still had to get a couple things ready before we headed to the hospital. I started noticing that my contractions were getting stronger and closer together, but still they were not 5 minutes apart. Phillip got home from work at his usual time, 11:45pm and so I told him that my contractions were getting closer. We expected to head to the hospital sometime during the night. He decided to get in the shower and shave ( he wanted to meet his little girl all nice and presentable). When he got out, I told him that I needed help counting and timing my contractions. By the time he got ready they were already a couple minutes a part, and they were really painful and intense. We knew we needed to HURRY! We got stuff in the car, got Maya and headed out the door (1:00 am). We needed to drop off Maya at our friends' house. We got to the Hospital at 1:30 am. The transport guy asked me if I needed a wheel chair, but I told him I was fine. I guess he must have seen me in pain because he insisted and got one for me. I was wheeled up to the second floor, they gave me a room and checked me to see how far dilated I was. To my surprise I was at 9cm and my cervix was almost 100% defaced. I was scared and worried because I knew I needed 4 hrs. in order to get the 2 full doses of antibiotics. I was also relieved to know that I was almost done. They hooked me up to an IV as fast as they could to start the antibiotics and told me we needed to wait. My doctor said that after I got a dose of the antibiotics he wanted it to run through my system for 10 minutes, then he would brake my water. As he was leaving the room I said to him, "Okay, I will wait 10 minutes, but I am counting." He came back after the 10 minutes, broke my water and said that I would deliver within 30 minutes to 1 hr. When he broke my water he realized that I was ready to push and so he instructed me to do so. Addison was born within a few minutes and I saw her cute little face for the first time. I held her tiny little body and my heart was filled with joy. I fell in love with her instantly! All my aches and pains were worth it. We are so excited to have her here with us.
Our first family picture with Addison.
Maya loves Addison already :)
Proud Phillip :)
Addison already to come home!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Oh Erika! What a beautiful story, and a beautiful baby to go along with it. Congratulations! I can't believe how long Maya's hair is getting. You are such a cute family. We can't wait to see you guys!

Cass and Jared said...

You are such a super woman! She is beautiful and a perfect addition to your adorable family. Congratulations from us!