Thursday, September 6, 2012

Running While Pregnant- 1st Trimester

Running right now is something I do very carefully. I am just over 8 weeks pregnant and my body has still managed to keep up mileage. What I have done to give me peace of mind is slow down my pace. I continue to run 4x 6 miles, sometimes I throw in an 8-10 miler. My weekend run has been less than 16 miles. I have only been doing this because of Ragnar. And Actually two weekends ago I did a Ragnar practice that consisted of 23 miles total, my body felt good.  After the race, I will probably continue to run 4x 6 miles and my Saturday run will be 8-12 miles. I am so grateful to be able to run. I have some morning sickness, but thank goodness it doesn't start until later in the day. I am able to run and even feel like I am not pregnant. I hope things don't change. I carry water with me at all times. I keep my body very hydrated and I keep a close eye on my breathing. I was telling Mr. Phillip that Monday and Tuesday when we were gone camping I felt so crappy. I was feeling down and just low on energy. Wednesday I ran 10.3 miles and my day was just awesome. I came home from my run, took a shower, got his lunch ready and packed, I did a mountain of laundry, went shopping for groceries, took the girls for a walk, cleaned and organized my house, and I was still feeling great by the end of the day. I told him just for this great reason I want to be able to continue running. When I feel good inside, I am a better person. I have noticed that I having a mild case of depression. I am thinking it has to be related to the hormonal changes going in my body. I am not sad I am pregnant, I am happy and thankful and feel blessed. Running has helped me with this emotions I am going through right now. I am hoping once this trimester is over, my hormones will go back to "normal." My mother-in-law told I should have mentioned it to the Dr. I just didn't want to make a big deal out of it. If it continues after the 1st trimester then I will have a chat with my OB. Is it normal to experience depression while pregnant? I never felt that before with my two previous pregnancies. This is something completely new to me.   
These are a couple articles and sites that have educated me about running while pregnant. I even pinned them, so I can go back and re-read them if I need to .

No comments: